WELCOME TO A FABULOUS NEW SCHOOL YEAR!!!
Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service
08/23 Wednesday First Day of School – full uniforms
08/24 Thursday Rules Assemblies
08/25 Friday No Mass
08/28 Monday Assembly at 8:00 on the elementary side assembly area K-8
BINGO workers: Steele, J. Garcia
08/29 Tuesday Coaches meeting at 6:30 in the Teachers’ Lounge on elementary side
08/30 Wednesday 8th gr. Parent Mtg. 6:00 pm in the 8th grade classroom
09/01 Friday Mass at 8:30. Students wear Formal Uniform. Please join us!
Official Mass Uniform Shirt for Girls in grades K-8 is a white button down long or short sleeve shirt, white blouse, short sleeved with a rounded “Peter Pan” collar and the official Modella uniform navy cross tie.
Order your PE Uniform T-Shirt at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the attached form. Place your order no later than Friday, August 25h. We will make one order for the T-shirts.
RAFFLE FOR EDUCATION tickets will be coming home soon. Ticket stubs may be sent to the office for the big opportunity drawing on September 13th. Either sell them and keep the money (you have already paid for them with your fees) or write your own name on them and turn in the stubs. Grand Prize isONE YEAR’S FREE TUITION for one child (at In-parish rate). This is the only mandatory fundraiser for the Parent/Teacher Organization this year.
LUNCH TIME YARD DUTY supervisors are needed from 11:50-12:50 Monday through Thursday. Please go online to www.signupgenius.com to sign up! Work five shifts and get your $50 back!
$CRIP Program is being revamped. Watch upcoming bulletins for details!
BINGO is on Monday nights only. Go to www.signupgenius.com to sign up! Every family is required to work ONE Bingo shift per school year.
Weekly School Masses are on Fridays during the school year! Please join us at 8:30 a.m.
Parish Golf Tournament – has been cancelled due to lack of participation. Refunds will be mailed this Friday to those who paid.
DANCE CLASSES are being offered by Plaza Productions I and will be taught by our own OLL mom, Liza Risk (Cameron, Riley, and Jack Albert’s mom). See the attached flier.
CHESS CLUB returns this year! Sign up forms will be available in the school office soon. More details about this after school opportunity will be in next week’s Parents Bulletin.
ROBOTICS is offering an eight week course on Fridays from 1:30-2:30 for grades 1-6. Students build new and different projects each week as they graduate from simple machines, to motorized mechanisms, to robotics with basic programming. They’ll learn all about engineering principles such as gears, wheels, axles, levers, and pulleys. Students will go to ACE free of charge after school to eat their lunch before the instructor escorts them to the library for class!
PICTURE DAY is Wednesday, August 30th. Students wear their FORMAL MASS DAY school uniform for the fall pictures and Dressy Dress for the spring ones. Please refer to the Uniform Policy in the Parent/Student Handbook at our website www.ourladyoflourdes.us
ALL PARENTS who plan on frequently working around children MUST be fingerprinted AND certified in Virtus training according to the Archdiocese’s SAFEGUARDING GOD’S CHILDREN ACT. This includes parents associated with PTO Board, Room Parents, Lunchtime Yard Duty, Field Trips, Family Fun Days Committee, R.E. and Choir parent helpers. Go online to la-archdiocese.org. Click on the tab Protecting Children, then Fingerprinting to find locations near you!
O.L.L. is hosting a Virtus training here for your convenience Virtus Trainings are September 16 and October 7th, at 9:00-12:00 a.m. in the auditorium. If you have never received Virtus training, you must take this initial class. Please call the Parish Office to register.818-352-3218
Parents who attended the training in 2013 need to attend the RENEWAL training. We are hosting a session on Saturday, September 9th and 30th from 9 – 10:30 am in the auditorium. Please call the Parish Office to register.
You can also go online to www.virtus.org. Click on “Registration” and “View a list of Sessions”. Select “Los Angeles San Fernando” from the drop down list of archdiocese locations. There are several parishes that offer training.
Back-to-School Night is Wednesday, August 30th. Eighth grade parents meet at 6:00 in the classroom then go to the auditorium at 6:30 to join the 6th and 7th gr. parents for a junior high meeting with the teachers. Parents of gr. K-5 go directly to your child’s classroom at 7:00pm. This session will repeat again at 7:30 so parents with more than one child can meet other teachers.
The Family Survey Comparable Data is attached. We are required to ask our families to complete the survey in order to receive funds from ERATE and Title I. The name is optional although the address is required to be sure you reside in the LAUSD area. Please complete the survey and return it next week.
MORNING DROP-OFF AND AFTERNOON PICK-UP PROCEDURES FOR GRADES 1-5, MORNING CARE AND ACE:
- For the safety of our students, parents/carpools will enter the Parish Hall driveway closest to Apperson St. on Tujunga Canyon Blvd. and drive down toward the lower playground following the directions of the morning safety monitors.
- Children will be let out of the cars at the stairs entering the lunch area. Students will remain in the Lunch Area until the first bell rings at 7:55 a.m. at which time their teacher will bring them to the classroom. Parents will then drive to the lower playground exit gate.
- Parents that would like to walk their children into the school drive into the Lower Playground on Mountair Street in the drive-way closest to Apperson Street and park in the Lower Playground. THE LOWER PLAYGROUND IS FOR PARKING and WALKERS ONLY!
- Students that walk to school will walk into the Lower Playground entering the gate on Apperson Street and follow the painted path to the steps to the Lunch Area.
- The gate to the Upper Playground is to be used ONLY for Office business by parents. Parents can park on the street and will be buzzed in on the intercom. If you take your children with you to the office, you will need to walk them to the Lunch Area.
- All late arrivals (K-8) must be walked into the Office by their parents through the Upper Playground gate and receive a Late Admit Slip. Students line-up at 7:55 am and begin class at 8:00 am. Gates will be locked at 8:05 am.
- Morning Daycare opens at 6:45 a.m.
- Parents will follow the above procedure entering the Parish Hall driveway and driving down to the stairs entering the lunch area and park facing the school.
- Please exit your vehicle and bring your child to Dekat Hall and sign him/her into Daycare.
- Parents will then drive to the lower playground exit gate.
AFTERSCHOOL PICK-UP PROCEDURE
- Parents for grades 1-5 will park in the upper playground and walk to the classroom to sign out your child.
- Sign Out Procedures for Jr. High and Kindergarten: Parents, for the safety of your children we ask that you sign your child out at the classroom at the end of the day. If someone else is picking up your child, please send a note to the teacher. Your child will not be released to a sibling, relative, carpool or anyone else without prior notification. If your child walks or rides his/her bike, send a note authorizing the teacher to allow your child to sign himself out. Once signed out the student must leave campus to go home. There is no supervision on the playgrounds at dismissal; therefore, we do not allow children to walk to the car without an adult. Parents, please keep your speed to a minimum while driving on school grounds.
ALL STUDENTS REMAINING AFTER 3:15 WILL BE SIGNED INTO ACE AND CHARGED THE DAILY RATE OF $18.
Our Lady of Lourdes students are People of Character
Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship